Sunday, April 05, 2009

Leadership: "I" is for Influence

It has been said that Leadership is influence. To some degree I agree with that statement. When you get right down to the heart of the matter, if you are unable to “influence” others, you are not really “leading”. Just as importantly, you must never seek to be a leader by controlling those you hope to influence. That is tyranny, not leadership.

There are many who debate on the side of the issue that Leadership is really about “control”. I couldn’t disagree more! Look at the greatest leader of all time, Jesus Christ. He actually controlled no one (although He has that divine power to do so, he didn’t and doesn’t), but his actions changed the course of history. True leadership is not about “control”. We mistakenly think that it is at times, but nothing could be further from the truth.

Control is an illusion. The only thing we can do is focus on our own actions. How do my actions, as a leader, influence those around me? What can I do to influence and motivate others to action on behalf of the cause/organization I am appointed to lead? When a leader focuses attention primarily on control, history almost always shows that leader removed from leadership soon after. When a leader focuses on serving and helping and influencing others, the results are dedicated followers who have been greatly and positively influenced by their leader.

With this type of leadership/influence comes great responsibility on the part of a leader. One who leads truly must also love truly. This requires attention be given to the people with whom you have been entrusted to influence by your leadership.

Next post we will finish up with “P” is for People, one of the most important factors in leadership.

No comments: