This Spring has been very interesting in "the hood". I started a new job. Melissa and I got an early start on the mulching of the flowerbed....heck, we even expanded it some. We also got three trees in the ground (transplanted from my nephew's farm). As I type this in the coolness of the basement, I am in the middle of wiring up our outdoor lighting for the Summer....well I am actually taking a break from that at the present.
As I look back at the events of the Spring so far, I see just how important Neighbors are to us here in Magnolia Grove. As I pulled into my driveway with the trees to transplant, one neighbor yells out, "I'll be right over!" And within twenty minutes there was four or five neighbors out in my yard, and the trees were planted. I am not even sure if I ever even touched a shovel either! They did it all!
I really can't explain the neighborhood we live in. It is not a common thing to have such caring and wonderful people as neighbors in today's society. However, I am convinced that your environment is pretty much what you make of it. As a friend (and neighbor) recently pointed out to me as I was going on and on about how good he had been to me; Melissa and I were one of the first in our home. So, we went around with Doug & Melanie and Tim & Kelli to introduce ourselves and give each neighbor as they moved in a welcome gift which included a Lowe's gift card. (if you own a home, you know just how important that was!!)
You see, just a little (it wasn't much money) act of kindness as each family moved into our neighborhood has gone a really long way in building the type of community that I grew up in nearly 35 years ago. Where everyone kinda watched out for each other and we all kept in touch with each other (especially during the Spring and Summer when it was warm). Now, it is not uncommon to have a meeting in one of the yards almost every evening with some of our friends and neighbors.
So, when you think of the mission of the Church and loving your neighbors as yourself.....don't make it more difficult than it ought to be. Just invest a little time and friendliness (sometimes a little help with the yard work) and the return on your investment will reap incredible payoffs. Some of my neighbors may not even believe in God, but now I have a real relationship with them. They have a friend who is a believer. Who knows what God can do when we give him the chance to work through our "ordinary" lives. Now, I have not just people who live around me. I have friends. I have neighbors. I have people who are there for me when I need them, and who I can be there for when they need me. Maybe the Church should move out of their building and into their neighborhood.
I don't have any ulterior motives. I just love my neighbors and love God, and the results are up to Him. If any of them ask me the reason for my hope in Jesus....I will tell them. But it is not my intention to "be nice to them, so they will come to my church." It is my intention to treat them as Jesus treats me.....to give them access to my real life. To be their friend. To be a true neighbor.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You are right honey! We do have the best neighbors!
Thanks for all of your posts - I think they are great.
Post a Comment