Saturday, October 07, 2006

A Form of Godliness

1 But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. 2 People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self‑control, brutal, not lovers of the good, 4 treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God– 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with them.
-- 2 Timothy 3:1-5


Recently I have been studying this text for a community group gathering, and I am faced with this question. Do we as the American Church have the form of godliness, yet no power? There are many websites, blogs and articles that comment and debate on such things. Many are “right” and many are “left”, still more have no direction at all. Some just complain about whoever is attempting to attempt the Christian life. I am just simply writing to make us all who claim the name of Jesus Christ as Lord to think about where we, ourselves, are in the journey.

Have we allowed the traditions of men and religions of the world to override the “power” found only in relationship with the one true, loving and just God? It is about so much more than I read in most blogs and articles. We are more concerned with image and what everyone thinks of us, than we are about whose we really are and what God himself wants from us in our daily walk with Him. What makes us think that if we get the “form” or image of being godly, we are home free from the responsibility of actually being a disciple (root word = discipline)? The traditions and religions are man’s effort to reach up to God and God’s grace and salvation through Jesus Christ is God reaching down to us. Not all religious traditions are “bad” and to throw out the baby with the bath water is not “good”. However, the bath water is in desperate need of changing. Why? Because we have only the “FORM” of godliness….without the power. The power is found in a daily appointment with God. How often do you truly sit alone with God and “taste and see that He is good”? When is the last time you were moved deeply to action by a quiet-time or devotion? Better yet, when will be the next time…or the first time?

Re-read the 2 Timothy 3:1-5 and think about the similarities and differences in our American Church culture today. Think about the similarities and differences of how you live your life today? I know from my reading of this passage I have been moved to evaluate where I really stand with Jesus and get rid of some “junk” in my life. I do tend to love myself more than others. I have been guilty of loving money, being boastful and prideful, ungrateful and loving my own pleasure rather than loving my God.

What if the Church in America really took a deep look in the mirror of Jesus Christ and found the true POWER of the New Testament Church? Imagine what could be. Maybe I am foolish to believe that the same God who’s Spirit empowered the Apostles can empower us today to accomplish Jesus’ mission in our world, but I do believe. I believe that Jesus came to die for much more than “a form of godliness” without power.
“For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.” 2 Timothy 1:7

No comments: