As we prepare for the Band of Brothers Retreat in February I found a poem by Laurie Anderson that a friend gave me years ago. I think this describes where Melissa (my lovely, supportive wife) and I are right now in our journey.
Shells
by Laurie Anderson
At first I was content to look for shells on the shore.
There were hundreds if not thousands
to choose from.
Shapes
Sizes
Colors
Textures.
Then I noticed where the tide broke -
there were better shells!
Bigger,
the swirly kinds,
in perfect condition --
a gold mine!
(I am pure tourist...)
Seeing them and getting them -
two different things!
I had my methods.
I would earnestly search -
There!
The perfect shell.
Concentrate-
Now! Grab it!
Just as I reach for it, the ebb tide would suck it back out-
along with the sand I was standing on!
Not to worry, here comes the surf again-
with my shell!
I lunge for it, come back empty-
Completely drenched, fully clothed
And completely drenched.
Finally,
I capture the shell.
As I put it in my bag, I again note,
It is much better than those on the beach.
Life Lesson:
There are wonderful things-
Easily within our grasp, like the shells on the beach.
they add joy to our lives.
But
Sometimes what I desire is just beyond my reach.
I then must decide, do I stay on the beach
it's warm and dry here-
Or
Do I step out into the tide,
Where the ground slips out from under my feet,
Nothing is very secure there.
It's time to go deeper-
To trust more
Loose my footing a time or two.
For you, it is time to go deeper.
Here's to going deeper with the Father and trusting Him more than I trust myself to provide what I need to accomplish the mission He has given me.
No comments:
Post a Comment